Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Writing for Motivation

A few years ago I read a book; I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell. After reading it I wrote out my first actual attempt at writing something other than a screenplay for class or an essay. It was a story about spring break my senior year of high school, I shared it with only a few friends because at the time I was self-conscious (as I still am when it comes to my writing) and because the content is not something I would want the general public to see on the web. A short time after that, I put together a rarely updated blog due to an adventure at Subway and my encounter with an inbred sandwich artist.

Promising myself I would keep up with it and fashion myself into a legitimate writer I would post every couple of weeks, then career shifted, I moved, had less and less time to write and the difficulties I have had with the artist for the comic I published made me think, writing is not going to be your thing, focus on your job. I love what I do, and at the risk of sounding pretentious I am pretty damn good at it. Although my dream to get something real published has taken a back seat to falling in to the routine of the average American. There just isn’t enough time in the day. It’s time for me to say “fuck that”.

Watching re-runs of Tosh.0 is not something I need to make sure I fit in to the daily schedule. At the age of 28 I fear I have let so many precious seconds go by. In college a lot of us spent the afternoons playing Halo or sleeping for 10 hours a day (not counting naps). Are those the things we will remember? Possibly. Every year we look back to the good old days, mostly when you could eat two junior bacon cheeseburgers and not gain a pound refer to the glory of yesteryear. I don’t want to have one of the achievements in my life being that I watched everything that was on my DVR and was really really good at Call of Duty.

I guess what has pushed in writing something of a lacking content was to convince myself to start writing again, actual writing. Maybe this was the warm up I needed. I can hope if anyone reads this particular note, maybe they will ask “Hey, how’s the book coming along”. To avoid looking a fool, hopefully I will have been putting time into it and have gotten somewhere, that way I don’t have to respond with “Oh that, yeah well ya know, been busy”. By the end of the year, about 2-3 months I hope to have my first draft of my novel complete. Let’s see.

No comments:

Post a Comment